"Ask Vic" will publish on M-W-F through the football season.
This drama is bad for football
The Mason Rudolph injury created another one of those medical dramas that are increasing in number in today's game.
Rudolph was knocked unconscious by a blow to the head from the Ravens' Earl Thomas. TV trained its camera on the motionless Rudoloph and shamefully added video of the Ryan Shazier incident. The facemask to the dazed Rudolph's helmet was removed, which allowed for a photo that begs the question, "Why would anyone want to play football?"
This is a bad look for the game and the NFL needs to find a way to attend to these players less dramatically. The league provides a medical tent for players who've strained a hamstring, but it leaves in full view to a frightened TV audience players with head and neck injuries.
I don't have the answer -- I'll leave that to higher minds -- but you're not going to convince parents football is a safe game to play by providing these gut-wrenching scenes.
Maybe the answer is football isn't a safe game to play and the NFL should stop trying to convince parents it is.
Packers, Jaguars, Steelers
Here are the Week 6 "Ask Vic" all-important power rankings:
1. Patriots -- Giants next crummy win.
2. Packers -- Time to roll.
3. Saints -- They are not toast.
4. 49ers -- Powerful, young, fast defense.
5. Seahawks -- Arrow pointing straight up.
6. Colts -- They don't miss Luck.
7. Chiefs -- Soft.
8. Lions -- At the test vs. Packers.
9. Eagles -- Offense is clicking.
10. Rams -- Showdown vs. 49ers.
11. Bills -- They deserve a rest.
12. Ravens -- I'm not impressed.
13. Bears -- Bye and then the Saints.
14. Vikings -- A phone call from the POTUS?
15. Cowboys -- Packers embarrassed them.
16. Panthers -- Winning with undrafted QB.
17. Browns -- Seahawks, Pats next two games.
18. Raiders -- They're in the hunt.
19. Chargers -- Who are they?
20. Bucs -- In London vs. Carolina.
21. Texans -- Struggling to beat bad teams.
22. Jaguars -- Defense gashed by Panthers.
23. Titans -- Good team going to waste.
24. Giants -- They need Barkley.
25. Steelers -- Fighting through tough times.
26. Broncos -- Tough schedule ahead.
27. Cardinals -- Murray flashes.
28. Falcons -- Where's bottom?
29. Washington -- Who's the next lucky coach?
30. Bengals -- Sinking in Cincinnati.
31. Jets -- Was it worth it, Le'Veon?
32. Dolphins -- Rested and ready to lose.